STATE LEVEL CONFERENCE ON CONTRIBUTION OF VILLAGE HEADMEN (MANJHI MONEHOR), PARGANA, PURUDHUL IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF SOCIETY AT SAHID SMRUTI BHAWAN, BARIPADA, MAYURBHANJ, ORISSA ON 24TH & 25th DECEMBER, 2003.
Shri Nityananda Hembram, President All India Majhi Madwa, Shri Madan Mohan Tudu, Rourkela graced the occasion as Chief Guest and Chief Speakers respectively. Others as Guests of Honour who addressed the gathering were Shri Saphil Tudu, Baripada Ghat Pargana, Shri Hema Chandra Marndi, Rourkela Pargana, Shri Sudam Marndi, Hon'ble MLA, Shri Bhadab Hansdah, Chairman Mayurbhanj Zilla Parishad and Shri Kushal Baskey, Ex-President, ASECA (west Bengal). Shri Kuanr Majhi, President All India ASECA presided over the meeting. Shri Jhadeswar Majhi, Chairman Reception Committee proposed the vote of thanks.
INSTITUTION OF MANJHI MONEHOR
- PROBLEMS IN THE MANJHI MONEHOR SYSTEM
- SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS
- FUTURE ACTION PLAN (WHAT IS TO BE DONE AND WHO WILL DO?)
ADOPTION OF A STANDARD SANTAL CALENDAR: POSSIBILITIES, DIFFICULTIES, SOLUTIONS AND FUTURE ACTION PLAN (WHAT IS TO BE DONE AND WHO WILL DO?)
SOCIAL UNITY & EMPOWERMENT: NEED & WAYS AND MEANS TO STRENGTHEN IT
STRENGTHENING OF SOCIAL INSTITUTION - HOW? (OPINION ON CENTENARY ATU MONEHOR WELFARE FUND, CULTURAL COMPLEX)
INVOLVEMENT OF MONEHOR IN LANGUAGE MOVEMENT FOR INCLUSION OF SANTALI IN THE 8TH SCHEDULE OF THE CONSTITUTION, OL CHIKI IMPLEMENTATION, UNIVERSAL LITERACY MISSION & GURU GOMKE CENTENARY CELEBRATION
There were more than 1000 participants who took keen interest on the subjects and particularly the methods applied for discussion in spite of the fact that most of them are either illiterate or semi literate. All felt the rhythm of brainstorming during various sessions. There was a renewed feeling of euphoria among the participants and they could sense that something is going to happen great with their co-operation and participation.
FACTS TO SHARE
1. ASECA, Rairangpur opposed holding of this Conference and they campaigned covertly or overtly to dissuade monehor and other general public from attending the conference.
2. Other vested interests were also active to see the failure of this Conference and were even prepared to disturb the proceedings.
3. There were police personnel both male and female in 2 vans deployed both the days for the Conference. This kind of police bandobast indicates the possible intelligence report of disturbance, as there was no request for such arrangement from the organizer's side.
4. The pamphlets for this Conference were found torn though old ones in the same spot were intact. The gate and the banner were damaged at one site also.
5. People participated in this conference even by walking 50 kms. Some even have come with two bowl (katha) rice as per old tradition.
6. We received full support from the Civil Administration.
7. Notwithstanding the resistance from various quarters, large-scale participation vindicates the impartial position of All India ASECA.
1. There is a need to preserve social value system. The traditional institutions need to be strengthened. An Adivasi/Santal Cultural Complex at Baripada is required to be built.
2. The Government should accord recognition to these institutions and its functionaries (Monehor) to protect these from harassment from the local authority or officials of the Civil Administration. All the places of worship (Jahers and Others) to be recorded as Worship place in the Official revenue record.
3. There is a need to establish Atu Monehor Welfare Fund. The Govt. and society should think about remuneration to the Monehor for their services rendered.
4. Majhi Monehor to review the system of punishment (Dandom) and make it more reasonable while maintaining the peace, law and order in the society.
5. The move of NDA Government to accord recognition to Santali in Ol Chiki by including it in the 8th Schedule of the Constitution is appreciable.
6. There is a need to formulate model code of conduct and Code of Procedures for the Society as well as social institutions.
7. The educated and able persons to come forward towards achieving various goals for social development/upliftment. Everybody should promote traditional festivals rather than prize giving related functions.
8. Ol Itun Asra (Schools for Ol Chiki Santali) should be established in all villages.
9. Various Gurus/Institutions/Formations should be advised not to profess against "SARNA".
10. Formulation/Adoption of standard Santal Calendar is required. Majhi, Nayke, Experts of Social customs & laws, Associations to take up this work at national level. Santal Calendar should start from the month of "Magh".
11. Guru Gomke Centenary Celebration should be observed unitedly.
12. Institutionalized Training Centers (Akhadas) need to be created for making future social leaders as well as to spread the virtues of Santal Culture/Society.
13. Social Unity can only be forged through maintenance of unity and solidarity among monehor of villages.
STATE LEVEL CONFERENCE ON CONTRIBUTION OF VILLAGE HEADMEN (MAJHI MONEHOR), PARGANA AND PURUDHUL AT SAHID SMRUTI BHAWAN, BARIPADA, MAYURBHANJ, ORISSA ON 24TH & 25th DECEMBER, 2003
All India ASECA organized two days conference at Rourkela during 10th and 11th of February, 2002 and at Balasore during 8th & 9th of February, 2003. Based on the feedback received/demand made during the last Conferences, All India ASECA is organizing this conference exclusively of Majhi, Nayke, Pargana and Purudhuls to deliberate on various social issues.
The programme aims at developing of a network of participants/social workers to pursue and foster co-operation and involvement. This attempt is to bring together social heads, volunteers, and leaders under a common platform to exchange views. The idea is to generate public opinion through open discussion/ deliberation so as to identify problem areas, arrive at a conclusion with feasible solution(s) and implementation plan. Documentation of views is the main thrust and focus instead of continuing with oral tradition.
Conference - cum -Workshop methodology would be adopted. The participants will be divided into various groups and each group will be discussing the issues given in the programme. The participants should come prepared to express their views on the points given in the programme for better time management. If possible/required a Group leader would be selected among the participants. Each group will be assisted by a volunteer from the Organisation. All are requested to bring their written views on each topic given in the programme for future reference. Based on the opinion/recommendation of each group, final strategy would be worked out.
We request Majhi, Nayke and a Purudhul (total 3 nos.) to attend this conference from a village. Parganas are invited separately. There will be no registration fee for them. All the expenses will be borne by the Organisers. Others may like to pay a delegate registration fee of Rs 100/- (Rupees One hundred only). The fee includes accommodation and food charge. However, interested and/or able persons are requested to generously contribute either Rs500/-,Rs 200/- or more as delegate fee cum donation in order to help the organisers for making better arrangements. Please intimate about your participation in advance so as to enable us to make adequate arrangement Mr. Tapan Kumar Hembram, Mr. Purushottam Marndi and the Reception Committee will receive the local contribution. Persons/ Organizations interested to sponsor various activities are most welcome. For further enquiry please contact Mr. Tapan Kumar Hembram 9437188701 or Mr. Purushottam Marndi 9437161578
Date 24.12.2003 (Wednesday)
10 AM - 12 AM
Chief Guest: Mr. Jual Oram, Hon'ble Union Minister of Tribal Affairs, Govt. of India,
Chief Speaker: Mr. Nitya Nanda Hembram
12 A M - 1.30 PM
FEEDBACK FROM THE PARTICIPANTS QUESTIONNAIRE 1.30 PM- 2.30 PM LUNCH 2.30 PM - 4.00 PM INSTITUTION OF MANJHI MONEHOR1. PROBLEMS IN THE MANJHI MONEHOR SYSTEM2. SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS3. FUTURE ACTION PLAN (WHAT IS TO BE DONE AND WHO WILL DO?) GROUP DISCUSSION 4 PM - 4.30 PM BREAK
4.30 PM - 6 PM ADOPTION OF A STANDARD SANTAL CALENDAR: POSSIBILITIES, DIFFICULTIES, SOLUTIONS AND FUTURE ACTION PLAN (WHAT IS TO BE DONE AND WHO WILL DO?) GROUP DISCUSSION 6 PM ONWARDS
CULTURAL PROGRAMME (ONE HOUR FOR SENIOR CITIZENS)
Date 25.12.2003 (Thursday) 9.30 AM -10.30 AM SOCIAL UNITY & EMPOWERMENT: NEED & WAYS AND MEANS TO STRENGTHEN IT GROUP DISCUSSION 10.30 AM - 11 PM BREAK 11 AM - 1.30 PM STRENGTHENING OF SOCIAL INSTITUTION - HOW? (OPINION ON CENTENARY ATU MONEHOR WELFARE FUND, CULTURAL COMPLEX)INVOLVEMENT OF MONEHOR IN LANGUAGE MOVEMENT FOR INCLUSION OF SANTALI IN THE 8TH SCHEDULE OF THE CONSTITUTION, OL CHIKI IMPLEMENTATION, UNIVERSAL LITERACY MISSION & GURU GOMKE CENTENARY CELEBRATION GROUP DISCUSSION 1.30 PM -2.30 PM LUNCH 2.30 PM - 4.30 PM
FINALISATION OF STRATEGY
Guests of Honour: Presidents and General Secretaries of ASECA (Jharkhand, Orissa & West Bengal)
4.30 PM - 5.00 PM COLLECTION OF SUGGESTIONS ON THE CRITERIA TO BE ADOPTED FOR SELECTING A MODEL VILLAGE, BEST MAJHI, PARGANA, MONEHOR, PURUDHUL AND INDIVIDUAL. 5.00 PM - 6.00 PM CONCLUSION